Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Iateapie.net




Diet Food Reviews
December 2, 2009
View Article

Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Pretzel Crisp to Go

Ultimately, what's on the inside is what really counts, but I must admit that I'm drawn to unique packaging. I was looking for some hummus when I saw these plastic containers that reminded me of UFOs. Upon further examination, they turned out to be Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with Pretzel Crisps to Go. Since I had never tried both the hummus and the pretzel crisps, I decided to give it a go.

The hummus was tasty with more of a kick than I'd expected, and the pretzel crisps were salty and crisp like a normal pretzel although they seemed just a tad damp from being in the refrigerator. In one sitting, I ate all the pretzel crisps with about 1/3 of the hummus - I spreading the hummus conservatively on each crisp, but you have A LOT of hummus to work with. I ate my to-go pack at home, but if I had really been on the go, I would have been bummed to have so much hummus left over.

But alas, what really gets me is that the container is really 3.5 servings - ridiculous, especially when you add up the nutrition facts. For the entire container, there is 320 calories from 15% of the daily value for saturated fat and 30% of the DV for sodium. Unfortunately, this does not make me snack happy.

A 4.3 ounce package cost $1.98 at Walmart Supercenter, and while I loves me some Sabra Hummus, I think this "to go" container just doesn't cut it as a portion controlled snack option - way too many calories and fat. I think I would rather invest in a small(er) container, and portion out my own hummus in that - and then I can eat it with more than pretzels.

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 1 container (4.3 ounces)
Calories: 320
Total Fat: 21 grams, 32%
Saturated Fat: 3 grams, 15%
Sodium: 720 mg, 30%
Protein: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 31 grams
Fiber: 3 grams, 12%
Sugar: 2.5 grams
Price: $1.98 (4.3 oz

No comments: